Friday 27 November 2015

Mood Boards + Research

Fonts


  

For the font, I was thinking about going for something that could found on other popular magazines. I preferred the bolder styles of font and I thought that if I were to use a more thinner font, I would use all capital letters in the title. By researching different font types, it has helped me to better understand the conventions of a magazine cover that is aimed at a mass audience and to choose the right font that would fit my genre of magazine.

Artist Genre

 

 
These are the kinds of artists that inspired what my model would look/be like. The fact that I had chosen a pop based magazine, I wanted to base my artist on well known chart singers, such as Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran, all artists that would attract a younger audience. All of these singers are also mostly pop singers, which is what my artists would be similar to. This research also helped me to form content for my double page spread, by finding out what kind of questions these artists are asked and the way they go about answering them, helped me to put my questions together and to then form a response.

Location


 For the location, I wanted to visit mainly outdoor places so I could use a natural background without having to edit it. Even though many of the places I wanted to shoot looked nice. However from this research of different locations, it became clear to me that if I wanted to have the main focus of the magazine cover on my model, a noisy background would take away the effect of the model. For this reason I decided to still use an outdoor background, but in a way that it was subtle and would not take the audiences attention away from the model.

Music Magazine Covers

Many of the magazine front covers I researched were pop, or loosely based around pop culture. One thing that helped influence my final product is the way pop magazines layout their cover lines. I noticed that the main cover line would generally involve the biggest story (almost always about the featured music artist) and the other cover lines would give more insight into the rest of the magazine. One other thing from the research that helped my decisions on how to  make my front cover, was the position of the title. In my first magazine daft the title was a small size and spaced out, but after looking at other pop magazines, I realised a more effective and professional looking title would be bold and large, either in front of the model or behind.

Layout Ideas



2 comments:

  1. Excellent work! Well done Sama.

    Next steps:
    Also have a look at layout for contents pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely work on planning your production.

    Next Steps: Where you have shown examples of artists and locations, perhaps write a short paragraph explaining your thought process and your final decisions.

    ReplyDelete